L-Welse.com Forum
HomeForumL-Nummern, Zuchtberichte, Literatur, ...L-NummernC-NummernSystematik - Gattungen, Arten, ...Fachbegriffe und deren ErklärungGalerieLinks

Zurück   L-Welse.com Forum > Welse > Callichthyidae
Registrieren Hilfe Mitgliederliste Mitgliederkarte Kalender Heutige Beiträge

Callichthyidae Panzerwelse & Co (Corydoras , Aspidoras etc.)

Antwort

Themen-Optionen Ansicht
Alt 15.12.2013, 09:16   #1
Jacqueline
Welspapa

Benutzerbild von Jacqueline

Large Aequidens and Brochis Splendens

Not really a Callichthyidae question but more related to large Cichlids.. But I'll give it a shot here.

Yesterday evening we were sitting on front of my 3.00-80-80 South America tank. Just enjoying the quiet painting in front with a drink and a snack.

When suddenly my large Aequidens Herrera Jenaro male shot trough the tank, Brochis Splendens flying all over the tank. When I looked again I saw the Aequidens had a Brochis in his mouth!!! I had never seen this before. I did notice the Aequidens is getting more territorial and parades the tank the whole day.... In slight panic I had to catch the Aequidens because the Brochis was stuck in his mouth. It was still alive luckily!!!! I know Loricariidae will jam themselves in a cave when disturbed, so I thought the Brochis would do so too. When I had the Aequidens I could get the Brochis out and both were released again in the tank.

But my question is now, will large Aequidens eat smaller fish like Brochis Splendens?? Or was this a one off, kind of a mistake? I can imagine that when the Aequidens wants to shoo away the Brochis with his mouth open and a Brochis rushes out the wrong way it shoots up in his mouth.. Could this be a theory? I don't know if I can keep the Aequidens now.... They have been in the tank together now for a year without problems.

Here some pictures of the key players...

Aequidens Herrera Jenaro, well over 25cm

The Brochis Splendens, around 5-8cm

Thanks in advance..
Jacqueline ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 15.12.2013, 14:24   #2
Karsten S.

Benutzerbild von Karsten S.

Hi,

difficult to say, I don't have any personal experiences.
I would assume that this Aequidens has leant his lesson that Brochis is not a good snack with all these spines etc.
But only observation can tell if this is true...

Great tank by the way !!

Cheer,
Karsten
Parotocinclus britskii, P. haroldoi, Corydoras bicolor, C. boesemani, C. coppenamensis, C. guianensis, C. nanus, C. punctatus, Harttiella crassicauda, Paralithoxus gr. bovalli, P. plallidimaculatus, P. planquetti, P. surinamensis, Pseudancistrus kwinti,...
Karsten S. ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 15.12.2013, 16:26   #3
Jacqueline
Welspapa

Thank you Karsten!

I'm kinda fond of this big fellow (and his little female, it's a pair), although he's quite a bully.. My pair of Uaru's keep him in his spot most of the time.
I don't like to dispose fish that I have bought for no reason..but if he would start eating his companions they will have to go.

So the advise given is the key to if they can stay (which I hope) or have to go....
Alt 17.12.2013, 22:21   #4
Bensaeras
L-Wels Gott

Benutzerbild von Bensaeras

Hi,

i´m a bit late. Large cichlids (and your Aequidens are big ones) can always try to eat smaller fishes, they are still predators. But i go with Karsten, based on their experience (and i guess corydoras and brochis can do harm to other fishes, they are well protected) they will change behaviour for the next time ;-)

Btw, i love your tank setup! It has a lot of atmosphere and the light in front of the tank together with the dark background gives an effect of great depth.
With that setting there is no need for more background work :-)
Did you use led-spots for lighting?

Ben

Bensaeras ist offline   Mit Zitat antworten
Alt 19.12.2013, 15:07   #5
Jacqueline
Welspapa

Hi Ben! Thank you for your comment on my question. I will see how it goes the next few weeks. Until now the Aequidens hasn't tried to eat any other fish I would think Brochis are not a fish to be eaten because of the spines on the dorsal en pectorial fins and the lesson has been learned by the Aequidens. I like him a lot so I hope I can keep the pair of Aequidens in the tank.

The lighting in my tank is from 4 little strips of LED's yes ;-)
Thank you for your compliments.
Antwort